Recently, state leaning publisher dubbed New Vision has been maliciously using its channels to misquote NUP party leader Kyagulanyi Ssentamu Robert aka Bobi.
The papers alleged that Bobi during a recent presser exonerated terrorism suspect Jamil Mukulu and declared him a political prisoner. The quotation drew mixed reactions amongst survivors and families of the victims of the ADF atrocities.
Now, Bobi has this morning cleared the air, stating that all he called for, is a speedy trial for Jamil Mukulu and other ADF suspects since it’s already 8 years down the road since he was arrested in Tanzania in 2015 and extradited back to Kampala for trial.
Bobi Wine’s statement
ON JAMIL MUKULU.
I have seen regime operatives and propagandists trying to twist my words to fit their usual narrative!
I will clarify as follows;
- Jamil Mukulu was arrested in April, 2015. Eight years later, he has not been tried! Eight full years! If he committed the atrocities he is being accused of, why is the evidence not brought forward so that he is tried and either convicted or acquitted?
- Jamil Mukulu and his co-accused persons were subjected to the worst forms of torture- including water boarding, etc. Torture is prohibited internationally. They say they were forced to eat pork and drink alcohol against their religion! In a functional judiciary, if such actions are done to extract a confession from a suspect, the trial would collapse. In any case, some of the co-accused persons were granted bail by court and immediately re-arrested on gun point! Under our laws, everyone is presumed innocent until proved guilty!
- Gen. Museveni led a war between 1980 and 1985 that led to death of hundreds of thousands of Ugandans. Gen. Kahinda Otafiire recently confessed they used to put on Uganda Army uniforms and commit atrocities in order to paint the Obote regime as evil. What would you call such a group of people if not terrorists?
- After hearing Kahinda Otafiire confessing to having committed massacres in Buganda as a false flag operations to tarnish the Obote regime, after hearing horrific stories of what M7 soldiers did in Nothern Uganda and after seeing similar state sanctioned mass murders recently in Kasese and other places, how can one dismiss the idea that the regime had a hand in the atrocities commonly attributed to ADF and Jamil Mukulu? How can the truth come out if there is no independent trial?
- The NRM regime is known to push certain false narratives. Dr. Besigye was falsely accused of rape. I was falsely charged with possessing firearms in Arua. Hon. Ssegirinya and Ssewanyana are currently facing charges of murder without any iota of evidence. How do we conclude that the accusations against Jamil Mukulu are not trumped up, in the absence of a trial envisaged by law?
- Jamil Mukulu at one point during a court appearance shouted and said it was the NRA regime financing them to commit crimes. Can we dismiss these allegations without any evidence to the contrary, given the NRM record? Of course since then he has always been silenced whenever he tries to speak about this!
- We oppose terrorist actions in Uganda and anywhere in the world. The NUP government would spare no effort to cooperate with the world in fighting terrorism. But we also believe that terrorism must not be used as a pretext to violate human rights and purse illegitimate political objectives. Everybody, including a terrorism suspect is presumed innocent until proved guilty by a competent court of law.
I hope this explains why we believe that Jamil Mukulu and his co-accused persons are being politically persecuted and they deserve “a fair, speedy and public hearing before an independent and impartial court established by law” as envisaged by Article 28 of the Constitution!