On Friday, it was confirmed by authorities that two individuals had tragically lost their lives at a school in Mukono District, likely due to food poisoning.
According to the police report, the two victims, 13-year-old Andrew Kakumba, a P7 candidate, and 10-year-old Victor Bongole, a P1 pupil, passed away after consuming food at The Green Primary School on Thursday.
Initial investigations suggest that Norah Nagujja, a teacher at the school, had brought home-cooked food for her three children who were in the boarding section. The meal, comprising chicken, sweet potatoes, and rice, was shared with other students, leading to several children experiencing symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, headache, and dizziness during the night.
Approximately 21 students had partaken in the meal at the school located in Makukuba Village, Nakifuma-Naggalama Town Council. The affected pupils were promptly taken to St Francis Hospital and other local health facilities. Among those receiving treatment at Kayunga Regional Referral Hospital were Nagujja and two students, Catherine Nanyonjo and Leticia Nakasi.
The bodies of the deceased have been transported to the Mulago City mortuary in Kampala for further examination. Dr. Julius Musinguzi from St Francis Hospital Naggalama disclosed that the facility attended to various victims, some of whom presented with mild symptoms of diarrhea.
David Ssefuma, the school director, emphasized that the fatal food was not prepared within the school premises and urged the police to conduct a thorough investigation to uncover the truth behind the distressing incident.