On Friday 30th July 2021, the president of the Republic of Uganda H.E Yoweri addressed the nation on the progress of fighting the covid-19 pandemic
In the address, Museveni thanked Ugandans for adhering to sops and obeying the lockdown restrictions. This has caused the number of covid-19 cases to reduce before the lockdown was instituted.
In his speech the president also lifted the lockdown on some sectors such as transport, trading among others in order to save the economy of Uganda.
We have provided a summary of what the presidents said as far as lifting of the lockdown is concerned;
- Curfew maintained from 7:00pm-5:30am
- Boda boda’s to operate up to 6:00 pm carrying one passenger both of them wearing masks.
- Kikuubo opened on the condition that it remains for wholesalers only. All kiosks & street vendors removed.
- All traders open while adhering to sops.
- Malls & Arcades opened with SOPs ensured
- Burials do not exceed 20 as it been
- Weddings maintain 20 people
- Places of worship to Remain closed for 60 more days. Virtual worshiping sessions are encouraged with only 10 people leading the service.
- Outdoor sports are allowed under strict SOPS but Indoor closed
- Betting, bars, concerts remain closed
- Restaurants opened as they have been operating.
- Saloons are opened under strict SOPs
- Sauna remain closed
- Schools remain closed until sufficient vaccination of students is done
- 20% public staff allowed to stay in office.
- Private vehicles across borders allowed
- Airport remains open
- Cargo trucks are allowed with only 2 drivers.
- Taxis & buses allowed each at 50% capacity. To be reviewed after 14 days. No air conditioning in all public transport.
- Food markets remain open
- Periodical markets/ remain closed.
- 100 Billion to be made available to support SMEs in business.